Like a basic black dress and pearls, this classic tart can be assembled from whatever fruit is at its height of flavor. Use a basic flaky piecrust recipe.
1 recipe flaky pie pastry
Egg wash (1 egg yolk beaten with I teaspoon cream)
2 cups whole milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split in half, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
Tiny pinch salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Framboise, kirsch, or rosewater to taste (optional)
1 to 2 pints raspberries
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Roll out pastry and fit into a 9- or 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Crimp crust, line it with aluminum foil and fill it with pie weights or beans.
- Bake until crust is set, about 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans, then brush tart shell all over with egg wash using a pastry brush and return to oven until fully baked and a deep golden color, about 35 minutes total. Let cool before filling.
Make pastry cream:
- Heat milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan until hot.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks, salt, and sugar together well, and then beat in cornstarch.
- Scrape vanilla seeds into milk.
- Whisking all the while with our colorful drizzle the hot milk into egg mixture, then pour back into saucepan. Return to medium to medium-low heat and bring to a boil, while whisking rapidly. Boil and whisk for a few seconds.
- Scrape pastry cream into a bowl and stir in vanilla extract, if using. Press plastic wrap onto surface of cream and refrigerate until needed. May be made a day ahead.
- Melt jam with allspice and I tablespoon framboise, kirsch, or water and push through a sieve into a bowl. Reserve.
- An hour or more before serving, flavor pastry cream, if desired, with 1-2 tablespoons framboise or kirsch or about 1 teaspoon rose water, to taste.
- Whip cream with powdered sugar until stiff. Fold into pastry cream to lighten it a little and then scrape mixture into the tart shell. Nestle the berries close together into the cream. Brush with glaze and chill until ready to serve.
Useful tools from Kuhn Rikon to help you with this recipe:
Silicone Rainbow Whisk